Sunday 6 March 2011

@ reception

Can I help you sir? Perhaps that's too difficult a question to answer right off the the bat. I mean, there's a multiplicity of variables to consider. You just wandered into reception. You're not in my appointment book and then there's the problem of how we both estimate each other's capacities and needs. I don't know what you want and you don't know in what way I can help, given we have never met before. However, there are certain assumptions we can both make, for example, presuming you want to find a specific person, I may be able to help, but how do I know you've got the correct building? May be you have the correct building, but the wrong name. It happens. Or may be you've just been in an accident, which resulted in acute trauma to the head and, with the ensuing concussion, your memory is temporarily off-line and you recall nothing of the events leading up to this moment, in which case, I may be able to help in a very general sense - direct you medical facilities - but not the specifics, such as how did you get here or what your name is or what you had for breakfast. In short, what I'm trying to say is, when I ask if I can help you, I need you to think really hard about your reply, because the considered response could be of the utmost importance. It could mean life or death. Or may be not. I'm in no position to judge these things. I just work reception. I'm new by-the-way. My name is Richard. Others call me Dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment